Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Molly Crane

So if I know Molly, this is going to embarrass her. But since I'm all the way down the Mississippi River and no longer near Lake Michigan, what can I do but honor this very dear friend with a blogpost especially dedicated to her?

If I could communicate the ways Molly Crane has inspired me, I would be a talented writer. But alas I'll have to settle for mediocrity because her spirit is too wonderful for my words. But here's a few I'm stealing:

Psalm 139:14
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.

Zephaniah 3:17

New International Version (NIV)
17 The Lord your God is with you,
    the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
    in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
    but will rejoice over you with singing.”

Instead of trying to present flowery words of praise, I'll just state the facts here:
I got to know Molly this winter at Urbana, Intervarsity's Student Missions Conference.  Somehow, I was immediately comfortable opening up to her. She is a listener. She is patient. She is one of the most caring individuals I know.

Molly took the time to continue talking with me over the winter and spring, taking an interest in my theatre efforts and telling me about the Bible study she led at an Evanston homeless shelter.
    Molly told me something that I'll never forget. She said that people at the homeless shelter need people to listen to them. They want someone to just listen and let them talk. We can serve the poor and love the unloved by simple listening. No money involved. Even if we have nothing to give, we can give time and relationship.

Molly invited me to a home-cooked meal with her lovely mom.

Once Molly and I were driving into Chicago, and we passed a homeless woman pushing a shopping cart. Molly asked if we could pray for her.

I can be honest with Molly, and Molly will always help me to see how I can seek Christ more (cause usually that's what I need help with).  Molly is not afraid to give counsel and speak honestly.

Proverbs 19:20-21 ESV
Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future. Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.

I know that my friendship with Molly is a good one to have, because she has so many qualities I hope to emulate: a heart to be more like Jesus. A heart to show Jesus to all.

I love this girl (and if anyone ever hurts her, I will chase you down. And she will probably help me to see that forgiveness is what Christ would do).

Happy Birthday Molly. You are a beautiful soul that God has placed in my life. I am blessed to be your friend.

~Catherine

1 comment:

  1. Catherine, I love you! I don't deserve this, or you, at all, but I'm incredibly grateful for God's goodness in allowing us to be friends and sisters.

    ReplyDelete